Free Homeowner Pack

Get handy checklists and guides for maintaining the value and comfort of your home.
* are required fields

Mold Inspections

MOLD... literally, a growing concern. National media attention has alerted the public to the destructive and possibly toxic dangers of hidden mold spores that could affect their family's health and their homes. EPA studies indicate that air levels of indoor pollutants may be two to three times higher than outdoor levels. Mold, the most dangerous offender of all, often goes undetected because of its invisibility. Most people spend as much as 90% of their time indoors and are not aware of the health hazards created by this pollutant.  There are over 1.5 million species of mold known but only 1% have negative effects on humans.  There is no reason to panic, but certianly you owe it to yourself to minimize your exposure to mold spores in the indoor environment.

What is mold?
Molds are fungi. Molds grow throughout the natural and built environment. Tiny particles of mold are present in indoor and outdoor air. In nature, molds help break down dead materials and can be found growing on soil, foods, plant matter, and other items. Mold produce microscopic cells called "spores" which are very tiny and spread easily through the air. Live spores act like seeds, forming new mold growths (colonies) when they find the right conditions.

What does mold need to grow?
Mold only needs a few simple things to grow and multiply:

  • Moisture
  • Nutrients
  • Suitable place to grow

Of these, controlling excess moisture is the key to preventing and stopping indoor mold growth.

Should I be concerned about mold in my home?
Mold should not be permitted to grow and multiply indoors. When this happens, health problems can occur and building materials, goods, and furnishings may be damaged.

Can mold make my family and me sick?
Mold can affect the health of people who are exposed to it. People are mainly exposed to mold by breathing spores or other tiny fragments. People can also be exposed through skin contact with mold contaminants (for example, by touching moldy surfaces) and by swallowing it. The type and severity of health effects that mold may produce are usually difficult to predict. The risks can vary greatly from one location to another, over time, and from person to person.

Are the risks greater for some people?There is wide variability in how different people are affected by indoor mold. However, the long-term presence of indoor mold growth may eventually become unhealthy for anyone. The following types of people may be affected more severely and sooner than others:

  • Infants and children
  • Elderly people
  • Individuals with respiratory conditions or sensitivities such as allergies and asthma
  • Persons having weakened immune systems (for example, people with HIV infections, chemotherapy patients, organ transplant recipients).

What should I do?
We suggest that if you suspect, or are concerned that you may have a mold problem, that you call us and discuss the situation with one of our Certified Professionals. An appointment for inspection and testing can be arranged at a time that is convenient for you. We will inspect the building for "Red Flags" (possible mold sources) and evaluate the conditions for testing. The testing we perform will allow us to know what type of mold is present and at what level (comparative quantities). An assessment can then be made based on the inspection and test laboratory results as to what steps will need to be taken to correct the situation. A written report of our findings, lab test results, and our recommendations is provided in a timely manner for your use. We remain available for constant consultation with our clients and as a trusted resource.

Call us to discuss your questions or concerns and to schedule an appointment.